Hyderabad: Uncertainty about protocols and restrictions is on the rise during the Hajj pilgrimage 2021 against the backdrop of the covid 19 epidemic, with the state seeing a significant decline in the number of applications for pilgrims.
As of Wednesday, the Telangana State Hajj Committee has received 2,030 applications from Hajj aspirants. In total, 808 applicants were men and the rest were women.
So far this year, the number of applications has been much lower than usual. Each year, an average of 10,000 people from states apply for the Hajj.
we received fewer applications due to uncertainty over the protocol for pilgrimage. Thursday is the last day and we expect a few more applications said by Mohammad Masiullah Khan, Chairman, Telangana State Haj Committee.
In view of covid-19, the Haj Committee of India has announced that it will reduce the Haj quota by 50 percent to all states. Telangana got a quota of around 5,000 last year, while the State Haj Committee hopes to bring it to 2,500 this year.
As per the new guidelines against the backdrop of covid-19, the Central Haj Committee said that senior citizens and children above 65 years of age should not apply for Haj Yatra 2021. “Only people between the ages of 18 and 65 were asked to apply,” he said.
The pilgrimage cost is also going to be higher this year due to adherence to social distinction norms in accommodating pilgrims and their travel.